STEINHAFELS CARES ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
We have been committed to sustainability and environmental sensitivity for years. Thanks to advances in modern technology, we are continuing to stay ahead of the curve. We have put several best practices into place to be sure we are operating as cleanly and efficiently as possible.
Steinhafels’ distribution center in Waukesha recycles cardboard, plastic, wooden skids, paper, mattresses, and florescent light bulbs. Steinhafels also recycles furniture, and donates usable pieces to charitable organizations.
ENERGY COSTS ARE DOWN!
- Our total energy costs are down 20%, and will continue to stay down, even though we are expanding the distribution center.
- We utilize state of the art LEDs in the distribution center and in our showrooms.
- Occupancy sensors ensure more efficient use of resources.
- We charge our vehicle batteries during off-peak hours to conserve energy.
- We are using the latest technology to make sure our HVAC system runs as efficiently as possible, and to monitor energy usage.
- Overall, we are seeing a savings of 38% on energy usage.
CARDBOARD - Steinhafels recycles almost 1,000 tons of cardboard annually.
- That is equivalent to 17,000 trees!
- 17,000 trees filter up to 1 million pounds of pollutants from the air each year.
- 1,000 tons of recycled cardboard saves 3,700,000 lbs. of lumber and 24,000,000 gallons of water.
- Recycling 1,000 tons of cardboard saves over nine thousand cubic yards of landfill space.
- One thousand tons of cardboard recycled saves enough energy to power a TV for 31,000 hours.
- Recycling corrugated cardboard cuts the emissions of sulfur dioxide in half, and uses about 25% less energy than making cardboard from virgin pulp.
PLASTIC - Steinhafels currently recycles over 80,000 lbs. of plastic each year!
- Did you know that plastic can take up to 400 years to breakdown in a landfill.
- Much of the recycled plastic ends up as low-grade plastic lumber which may be used in furniture.
CUSTOMER SERVICE GOES GREEN
Currently, we have multiple natural gas service tech vehicles, and we are exploring the possibility of using natural gas trucks as we phase in new delivery trucks in the future. Natural gas is a cleaner alternative to traditional fossil fuels.